Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian Andersen; adapted and illustrated by Jerry Pinkney

Hans Christian Andersen’s classic tale The Ugly Duckling is a story that I loved as a child. I can remember checking out the book multiple times throughout my early primary school years and enjoying the story every time that it was read. The version that I read, of course, was not this particular version that is adapted and illustrated by Jerry Pinkney. His adaptation of the story is a slight alteration of the version that I remember from my childhood but is just as enjoyable.

The tale of the small “duckling” that is repeatedly rejected and ostracized and ends up to be a beautiful swan is a narrative that has been enjoyed for many years and will continue to be a beloved story for generations to come. Jerry Pinkney’s illustrations are a great addition to the tale and are true viewing delights. The realistic drawings pull the reader into the story and add dimension to the characters. Young readers will love to look at the beautiful pictures as they follow the journey of the small bird from misfit hatchling to beautiful swan.

When I was young, I loved to look at different types of birds and read about the various breeds that lived throughout the world. I have always found birds to be beautiful creatures. One of my favorite pastimes when I went to my grandmother’s house was to look at all of the colorful and interesting birds in the encyclopedia. Jerry Pinkney’s adaptation would have been a work that I not only would have loved to have read but to have also admired the engaging illustrations.

The Ugly Duckling has been and will continue to be one of my all-time favorite stories. The themes of finding your place in life and joining a group of individuals that are accepting of you are two ideas that I will forever associate with the story. I highly recommend reading this book for its classic story and magnificent artwork.

Andersen, H.C. & Pinkney, J. (1999). The ugly duckling. New York: Morrow Junior Books.

Caldecott Honor Book

No comments:

Post a Comment