Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Noah’s Ark by Jerry Pinkney

The story of Noah and his mission to preserve life on the earth has always been one of my favorite Bible stories. As child, I always found it amazing that all of the animals fit into the ark. Every time that I read the story, I would always imagine myself in the ship with all of the animals and Noah and his family. I still remember the joy that I felt as I heard that the dove was returning with the olive branch. This meant that the animals and people could leave the ark and begin life anew. When I read the story as an adult, I find Noah’s faith to be inspiring and admirable. I will always associate the story of Noah’s ark with the concept of faith and obedience to God.

Jerry Pinkney’s interpretation of the story is very beautiful. His wonderful paintings brilliantly illustrate Noah’s tale and allow the reader to better envision the occurrences in the story. The varying colors that Pinkney chooses to include in the illustrations are immediately appealing to eye. His choice of subject in each of his paintings is very fitting for each portion of the story. The animals that populate much of the book are an instant draw for young readers. The animals’ movements and demeanor in the illustrations are very realistic. The illustrations of Noah and his family are also very lifelike and aid in expressing how they are feeling and provides the reader with an insight into their thoughts throughout the entire adventure.

As I briefly stated in my review of The Ugly Duckling, I really enjoy Jerry Pinkney’s illustrations. Many of the paintings, especially in Noah’s Ark, are pictures that I would love to frame and display in my home. One of my favorite illustrations in the book is the painting that shows the underwater creatures swimming over the flooded city but beneath the ark. The dark blues of the creatures and the water are very comforting. In addition, the image of the flood city juxtaposed with the protection and safety of the ark conveys the very poignant message that God will provide and care for individuals throughout all of the occurrences in their lives.

Jerry Pinkney is a great talent. I look forward to finding and reading some of the other works that he has illustrated. Information about the illustrator states that he has illustrated a number of other works including Aesop’s Fables, the aforementioned The Ugly Duckling, John Henry, Mirandy and Brother Wind, and The Talking Eggs. Upon my next visit to the library, I am going to attempt to find these books and further enjoy the beautiful images that are created by this great talent.

Pinkney, J. (2002). Noah's ark. New York: SeaStar Books.

Caldecott Honor Book

Additional information about Jerry Pinkney and his works can be found at http://www.jerrypinkneystudio.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment